Orthodontic treatment to straighten your smile is one of the most rewarding decisions you’ll make. In a recent study, almost 80 percent of people who’d straightened their teeth with orthodontics described it as a life-changing decision. Whether you’re a teen or an adult, orthodontic treatment is all about investing in yourself to be your best self. For most, one of the biggest motivations behind treatment is aesthetics – boosting appearance to boost confidence and comfort. However, don’t forget that orthodontic treatment offers so much more than just better aesthetics in the mirror.
Health Benefits Of Straight Teeth
1. Gain A Healthy Bite With Straight Teeth
Orthodontic’s primary purpose is to create a healthy bite by straightening and properly aligning the teeth. Malocclusions, or bad bites, mean that the jaws are unable to properly meet. This may occur from misaligned teeth, crooked teeth, or crowding. In any case, malocclusions can cause major oral health problems, including:
- Tooth decay and cavities
- Wear and tear on tooth enamel
- Chewing difficulties
- Speech difficulties
- Jaw pain and TMJ
- Leaves protruding teeth more at risk for injury/loss with mouth injuries
Schedule an appointment with your orthodontist if you suspect a bite issue. If you have a malocclusion, your orthodontist may recommend orthodontic treatment, such as braces, to correct the issue and prevent/correct dental woes like the above.
2. Enables Proper Teeth Cleaning For Good Oral Health
Straight teeth are easier to brush and floss for proper dental hygiene, which is necessary for a healthy mouth. Crooked and crowded teeth can make it a chore or even impossible to reach all the surface area of your teeth. Tooth decay and periodontal issues, such as gum disease, are inevitable if you allow bacteria to accumulate at your gum line and between crooked/crowded teeth.
Keep in mind that gum disease can cause tooth loss, bad breath, and bleeding and receding gums. It’s neither a pretty nor healthy picture. Don’t let crooked, crowded, misaligned teeth prevent you from the oral hygiene to keep your mouth healthy. Your orthodontist can recommend treatment to give you a straight smile that’s easy to maintain with good hygiene and regular dental visits.
3. Gives Your Total Health A Boost
Extensive research has shown that a healthy smile greatly contributes to your total overall body health. How?
- Mental And Emotional Health
- When you’re happy, you smile. But, did you know that mental health experts say that just smiling can make you happy? If you have a beautiful and healthy smile, you’ll naturally smile more often. Straight teeth offer you the mental confidence to show the world, employers, friends, family, and so on your emotions through your smile. Such self-esteem and expression is critical for adolescents fitting in with peers, and it’s an asset for adults wanting to look and feel their youngest and be their most confident for personal and professional goals. If you feel your smile is holding you back from opportunities, it’s time to schedule an initial consultation with your orthodontist to discuss your orthodontic issues and treatment options.
- Physical Health
- Bad oral health doesn’t just impact your mouth. Your entire body can suffer. For example, crooked teeth create oral hygiene lapses that can lead to gum disease, and that excess bacteria in your mouth can then enter your bloodstream to cause havoc throughout the body. Oral inflammation, disease, and infections are linked to a number of systemic diseases, including diabetes and heart disease. Again, don’t allow bad oral health to cause issues with your physical health and well-being. Call your orthodontist today to learn how your teeth and body may benefit from orthodontic treatment.
It’s Never Too Early Or Late To Prioritize Straight Teeth
As you can see, the benefits of a straight and healthy smile apply to all age groups, and those benefits go well beyond just improving your look with orthodontic treatment. The ability to properly clean your teeth, enjoy a correct bite, and improve your total health aren’t facets you should consider optional or elective. These are musts to be your best self. The experienced team at Creed Orthodontics in Cypress, TX can help you make that investment in yourself. Give us a call today.