Orthodontic Tips for Your Summer Vacation
Are you planning a vacation this summer? If so, Creed Orthodontics in Cypress Texas wants you to be prepared before you go. Here we have compiled a checklist of things that might come in handy for you to keep with you while you’re away from home. These items include:
- Orthodontic wax, in case you begin to experience discomfort from protruding wire
- Small mirror (to look for any potential issues with your teeth and mouth)
- Toothpicks, floss picks, or other between-the-teeth cleaners
- Travel toothbrushes
- Water bottles, or mini bottles of mouth rinse
Keep all of these items together in a “braces kit” or “oral hygiene kit” so you have them all at hand. You can even buy a pre-made braces kit from some places. Ask your Cypress Texas Orthodontist if you want to know more about these kits.
To help keep your orthodontic work in good condition while you’re away on vacation, try to stay away from the following types of foods:
- Almonds, cashews, peanuts, and other nuts
- Apples, pears, and whole fruits in general; try to cut fruits into small wedges before you eat them
- Bagels and other hard bread rolls
- Chewy foods
- Corn on the cob
- Gummy foods
- Hard candy
- Hard cookies and pretzels
- Sticky foods
Broken wires and/or wire distortion could result from eating too many of these foods.
For those of you who wear clear aligners, don’t worry if you lose your tray while out having summer fun. You can use either the previous or the next tray while you’re waiting for your orthodontic team to replace the tray you lost. Contact your Cypress orthodontist’s office as soon as you are able to.
If, while you’re away from town on your vacation, you need to get in touch with your orthodontist’s office and have a problem reaching the right people, you can go online and look for an orthodontists’ office near your vacation spot. Many orthodontists are happy to help out with orthodontic patients who come to them experiencing pain or difficulty. You shouldn’t have too much trouble finding one unless you’re visiting a very remote location.
Remember these tips for optimum oral health this summer season. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to give us a call today!